How to remove mould from cushions?
If you love outdoor decorating, it’s likely you have an array of vibrant outdoor seat cushions embellishing your front porch or backyard patio. Colourful cushions add comfort and pizzazz – but at the same time, they’re susceptible to damage from the elements. If your outdoor furniture cushions have suffered through one too many rain showers and are developing mould, you’ll want to tackle the problem as soon as possible. This article will discuss how to remove mould from your cushions—so you can keep enjoying the garden paradise of your dreams.
1. Wipe down your cushions – begin by removing the cushions from your outdoor furniture and placing them on a flat, clean surface. Begin wiping down any surface mould with a damp cloth. If the cushions have removable covers, you can clean them in your washing machine as you typically would—just add an extra cup of white vinegar to ensure a thorough wash. Dry them off—and you’re done. If the cushions don’t have washable covers, continue with the following steps.
2. Spray, spray, spray – you can create an effective cleaning solution using ingredients you likely already have around the house. Grab a clean spray bottle and fill it with undiluted white vinegar. Thoroughly spray each cushion—front and back—and allow the solution to sit for about ten minutes. Don’t empty the spray bottle yet—you’ll need it again soon.
3. Start scrubbing – now it’s time for another little science experiment! Mix one teaspoon of liquid dish soap with three cups of lukewarm water—straight from the tap will do the trick. Dunk a large, porous sponge into the solution and make sure it’s completely saturated. Scrub each cushion all over until all signs of mould have disappeared.
Outdoor Lounge Cushion
4. Time to rinse and dry – next, wipe your cushions down with a cool, clean, damp cloth. Make sure to clear off any soapy remnants. Now, it’s time to dry your outdoor lounge cushions. Australia makes this easy—just hang them out in the sun!
5. Spray once more! Spray your cushions with another layer of white vinegar. This final step will kill any leftover mould and leave a fresh, clean scent. Once again, allow your cushions to air-dry.
Sunbrella Outdoor Cushions
Looking for fresh cushions?
If you’re having trouble getting the results you’re after, why not try out a fresh, new set of cushions? At Cushion Factory, we serve customers seeking custom outdoor cushions Perth-wide and Sunbrella outdoor cushions Melbourne-wide.
Cushion Factory Australia
If you’re still unsure which fabric is best, please contact one of our friendly staff or visit one of our showrooms today! We’re more than happy to help you choose the perfect waterproof fabric or product for your outdoor bench.
Feeling inspired? Start transforming your outside spaces today with our wide range of outdoor patio cushions, outdoor bench cushions and more. As Australia’s Cushion Experts, Cushion Factory would absolutely love to help you create a space that you can’t wait to relax in. Say goodbye to those old faded cushions or that bare space!
10 day turnaround ( subject to fabric availability )
Over 700 fabrics to choose from
Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth
Have a question? Don’t hesitate to email or phone us on 1300 448 297. We would love to hear about your next decorating project!